Simple Christmas Pleasures
|December 20, 2008||Posted by simply stephen under stuff (how to buy)|
Christmas time for some is a religious celebration, for others a day off work. Some don’t celebrate at all. But most places in the world benefit from the spirit and local economy created by the Christmas Season.
Marketers start the spirit just after Halloween, but for many people it arrives when the first snowfall arrives in December, when the tree is decorated or a few weeks before the 25th. It is a season full of stress and angst, last minute purchases, sending cards, busy roads, work deadlines, holiday arrangements, massive consumption, events and a flurry of other activities or demands.
Perhaps it’s time to step back and look at the simple joy that Christmas can bring. Maybe we should try these things all year round. Here’s a short list:
- Meeting friends that you rarely get a chance to spend time with
- Visiting with family or using the time to make up and reconnect
- Listening to Christmas Carols and attending concerts, recitals and shows (often free)
- Decorating the tree, house or office (did you get a green one?)
- Reading a Christmas Story to a child, any child
- Watching the excitement on a child’s face during a recital, visit with Santa, decorating a tree, seeing the lights, a new (at least to them) Christmas Show on TV, etc.
- Quiet time, time to reflect – yes good old downtime, slow down and enjoy the rest
- Wine, women and song….okay, replace women with good food, err family & friends if you are attached!
- Updates and heartfelt cards, emails and messages
- Handcrafted one of a kind items
- More cheerful Work Environment
- Watch your favourite Christmas Time movie(s)
- The evening walk or drive to look at Christmas lights
- Christmas baking…oh, the goodies, shortbread, gingerbread houses, mince tarts…
- The advent Calendar…countdown to Christmas
- Those Christmas Drinks, oh boy, those Christmas Drinks, maybe egg nog, liqueur or a special wine.
- The pictures and memories
- The Christmas Cheer…you need to carry the right attitude and you will find it!!!
- Sharing in the joy of giving
- Connecting with your community
These are just a few things to enjoy. Celebrate any way you want and then remember these simple things and apply them to the year. Wishing all of you a very Merry Christmas!
if you liked this post, take a gander at these ones!
- keeping your holiday green and simple
- Green Your Christmas with a Tree
- a few things to make your christmas green
- Holiday Wishes from Simply Stephen
- season greetings for 2011